5 Ways to Slow Down the Aging ProcessThere are easy ways to lower your sugar intake — and prevent major signs of skin aging caused by sugar. Here’s what you can do:
- Add fresh fruit to water. “Not only will you get more water, which will be naturally flavored with delicious fruit, you’ll also be getting the benefits of more fiber and a whole host of minerals if you eat the fruit,” Taub-Dix says.
- Mix up a better-for-you drink. If you can’t quit soda completely, Taub-Dix suggests mixing a splash of 100 percent fruit juice with a glass of club soda. You can also try mixing half a can or cup of soda with club soda. “You’ll still get the bubbles,” she says.
- Read labels carefully. Sugar can be called by a lot of different names, so look out for words like corn sweeteners, dehydrated cane juice, maple syrup, and high fructose corn syrup. “Anything that ends in ‘ose’ should be a red flag that it’s sugar,” Taub-Dix says.
- Get up and move. “While smoking or drinking soda can shorten telomeres, you can actually protect them,” says Friedman. “Exercise has been shown to maintain the lengths of telomeres.”
- Wear sunscreen every day. “I don’t care if it’s raining out — you should still be using a sunscreen with at least SPF 30 because UV radiation is still coming through even when it’s not sunny,” says Friedman. “UV radiation induces free radicals and damage to DNA, and if those telomeres are shortened, you’re not going to be able to repair [the damage].”